Saturday 8 November 2014

Top 5 Reasons People Don't Share Their Stories on the Blog

Almost all of the work on this blog and on twitter is being done by a small group of people, with a much wider group of people supporting us.

We've had 3 - soon to be 4 contributions from local service users about their treatment and what being treated locally means to them and two anonymous contributions from people working in the trust.

Here are the top 5 reasons for not contributing, in ascending order.

5. Someone in my family works for the Trust and I'm scared they will lose their job.

4. Nothing will happen so what's the point? The Trust doesn't care about us, just money.

3. I'm just too ill to deal with this right now.  I want to help, but I just can't.

2.I'm scared that if I share my story, someone will read it and know it's me.  I don't want people to know I've been to Ridge Lea.

1. I'm scared that even if we DO get the beds back, if they know I'm involved, next time I'm ill, they'll send me away to punish me for speaking out.

So that's fear if being punished, fear of being judged for having a mental illness, fear for your family, despondency and illness.

Thank goodness some of us are able to stand up for those who want to, but  can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment