- Sexual orientation.
- Race, including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin.
- Being or becoming transsexual.
- Being pregnant of having a child.
- Being married or in a civil partnership.
- Religion, belief or lack of religion/belief
- at work
- in education
- as a consumer
- when using public services
- when buying or renting property
- as a member or guest of a private club or association
The Trust says it's flexing, not discrimination, but we'd like to change male and female for a few other protected characteristics to make our point. How about...
There are more heterosexuals needing beds than homosexuals, so we will only treat heterosexual patients at The Orchard. All beds will be made for heterosexual use only and all homosexual patients will be sent out of the area.
There are more White British needing beds than Asian British, so we will only treat White British patients at The Orchard. All beds will be made for White British use only and all Asian British patients will be sent out of the area.
There are more young people needing beds than older people, so we will only treat young patients at The Orchard. All beds will be made for use by young people only and all older people will be sent out of the area.
It sounds so wrong doesn't it. So why is THIS acceptable?
There are more men needing beds than women, so we will only treat men at The Orchard. All beds will be made for male use only and all female patients will be sent out of the area.